The cost of your accommodation is the priciest part of your vacation in Dubrovnik. Even though new hotels are sprouting up everywhere and much of the Old Town has been turned into apartment rentals, the demand is so huge that owners ask for and get top price. But you don’t want to blow your entire budget on accommodation when there’s so much else to do,Â from sampling fine restaurants to exploring the surrounding islands! Here are five tips to getting the most value for money in Dubrovnik.
- From the beginning of June until mid- September five-star hotels run from â‚¬189 to â‚¬630 for a classic double with breakfast included. In May and late September prices are about 20% cheaper. Go in April or October and you save yet another 15 to 20%. BTW, breakfast is always included in Dubrovnik hotels; you can’t save money by opting out.
- Book now if you’re going in the summer season. Standard doubles sell out fastest. As you get closer to the summer, only the luxury rooms and suites remain.
- Consider an apartment. A three or four-star apartment is just as beautifully decorated and well-equipped as their hotel counterparts. Each unit is measured and rated by the tourist authorities. What don’t you get? Breakfast. No rolling down to a beautifully appointed buffet with an array of treats. What you do get is a kitchen to breakfast as you wish. Book early though, as the buildings are smaller and have fewer units.
- Consider staying in Lapad. This leafy community also has great hotels but is not quite walking distance to the Old Town. Hotels in the Old Town and in nearby Ploce are more expensive. From Lapad it’s a short ride on Dubrovnik’s easy public transport system. Plus, there’s easy parking and beaches are nearby.
- Negotiate a discount for a longer stay. Hotel prices are fixed but in private accommodation at the budget level you can usually work something out if you stay a week. Facilities are less than luxurious but the location is often excellent.
For a hotel or classy accommodation, I prefer booking.com for the low-price guarantee. It gives me peace of mind to know I’ve nabbed the best possible deal.