Let me explain my thinking. (FWIW, I did not try to swing a special deal based on this blog or website. I travel just as you do). First, I thought of renting through AirBnB. It’s so trendy! I looked through the offerings in Rovinj and found a few good apartment deals and was almost going to book one until I decided to check booking.com for comparison. The Hotel Eden was proposing a special rate that amounted to only about €13 more than the cheapest rate on AirBnB.
And what do you get for that €13?
- Buffet breakfast. Private apartments include a kitchen which is great if you plan to cook but I don’t. And if you go to the store to buy coffee, milk, eggs, yogurt, bread, fresh fruit, jam and juice, how much money are you really saving? The buffet breakfast here presented an incredible array of edibles, including grilled vegetables, waffles, pancakes, polenta cakes, pastries, cheese, charcuterie and much more.
- Convenience. Arriving late in the day after a long drive, I was in no mood to suss out a grocery store and buy breakfast supplies. Also, I could just drive up and check in here. In private accommodation, your arrival time involves making an arrangement. Sometimes the owner lives on site and sometimes she doesn’t so an appointment must be made.
- Indoor swimming pool. Enough said.
- Free parking. I’ve been to Rovinj many times which means I don’t really need to stay in the Old Town where parking is expensive and not necessarily close to the hotel or apartment.
- Good location. Near the Hotel Eden is the four-star Hotel Park and the five-star Hotel Lone and Monte Mulini. All are close to the coast and connected to central Rovinj via coastal paths that run harbourside and through the shady nature park. It is a good half-hour walk from here to the edge of central Rovinj but it’s extremely pretty and relaxing. It’s leafy, quiet and beautifully landscaped.
See more about accommodation in Rovinj.